As a former editor of mine once said, “who doesn’t need more Bourbon around the holidays?”
These sweet potatoes are a standard item on our Thanksgiving menu, one that I’m told cannot go away. This year, I modified it for a Kitchen Confidence client who needed a non-alcoholic version for kiddos. This would pair equally well with roast chicken or pork.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 C light brown sugar
- 1/2 stick (4 TBSP) unsalted butter
- 1/4 C fresh squeezed OJ + zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 C maple syrup
- 1 tsp orange flower water
This is the safe-for-everyone version of my “killer sweets” which include Bourbon. The original includes 1/3- 1/2 C Bourbon and a drizzle of maple syrup to taste.
1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks.
2. Place over boiling water, steam till nearly tender.
3. Place in buttered baking dish.
4. Simmer sugar, butter, OJ, salt until sugar is dissolved and syrup thickens. Stir in Bourbon. (alternately: stir in maple syrup and orange flower water)
5. Drizzle over potatoes.
6. Bake about an hour, baste occasionally.
7. Top with a swirl of maple syrup. (omit if doing Bourbon-free version)
Can be made ahead. Make some double fluffy biscuits to dip in the syrup!